Thursday, February 22, 2024

Crazy Gadget Girl

 

How on earth did our ancestors survive with just a fire and sticks shaped like spoons?  Had they known the technology that would come from the invention of that little thing called electricity, would they have refused to gut that rabbit with their bare hands until the mister got them an electric carving knife?

I don't have an electric carving knife, by the way.

Time for the second half of the gadget review...at least, until I go shopping and find more discarded treasures that will make my cooking life easier.  

VERISMO MILK FROTHER

5/5 STARS

This magical milk machine arrived with the Starbucks Verismo coffee machine.  The machine had multitudes of problems, such as a hatred of well water, only able to use Starbucks Verismo pods, and that problem that all pod machines have...it only made one cup at a time.  But I loved that machine until my tree hugging heart started contemplating how much waste it created.  So, back to the drip coffeemaker and steam driven espresso machines.  HOWEVER, the Verismo milk steamer was a keeper, even if my black little heart that loves black coffee doesn't use it much.  Why?  Because you literally plug it in, pour in milk to the designated line, and hit a button.  And when it beeps you've got yourself a pitcher of perfect steamed milk.  And the best part?  That steamed milk is topped by an absolute PERFECT mound of milk froth.  And let me tell ya, the FROTH is what makes your frou frou drink extra bougie.    As long as I'm pouring coffee down my gullet, I'll own this thing.

    KITCHEN SHEARS
                    
5/5 STARS

This one started out as a joke, but not quite kidding.  I caught my spouse using my regular scissors for food related items, and after thinking of all the things my scissors had touched, I was kind of grossed out.  So, his Christmas stocking a couple years ago had these kitchen shears in it.  And now with me doing all the cooking, they are invaluable.  Get yourself some and quit using your regular scissors, sicko.

PINEAPPLE CORER

5/5 STARS

I have to be honest.  I've never used this gadget.  But the pineapple king that I'm married to, was with me in HomeGoods perusing the kitchen utensil aisle, and jumped on this immediately.  I don't eat fresh pineapple, but he LOVES it, so this tool had to come home with us.  And the first time he used it, his face lit up like a little kid, so I'd say it's a keeper.  It makes carving out that pineapple easy peasy and done within a few short minutes.  If you're a pineapple freak, get yourself one.

MICROPLANE

5/5 STARS

I'll admit, I initially bought this for the sole purpose of zesting fruit.  But then, I realized it can save the hassle of chop chop chop on things like garlic and ginger.  Not that I don't love me some chop chop chop, but sometimes I'm in a hurry and don't want to bother with dicing things into the smallest size possible.  Considering I use this every week, I'd say it was a good buy.  And I even paid retail!

NINJA FOODI

5/5 STARS

I will be honest and say I've only used this once.  But, my son ended up getting rid of this, and after it sat in my store for awhile, I thought, hey, I think I'll give this a try to have some healthier options for cooking.  This little powerhouse handled a stuffed chicken breast dish like a champ, and what really shocked me was how quickly it cooked the chicken perfectly without drying anything out.  Because overcooked chicken is gross.  But MY chicken was not.  I've got a bunch of recipes waiting for this thing, so it will get more use.  The only thing a bit annoying about it is it's huge, clunky size.  It couldn't go in the gadget cabinet because the shelves weren't high enough.  And that tests my OCD brain a wee bit, but I'll get over it.

PANINI PRESS

5/5 STARS

Is a panini grill really one of those necessary gadgets?  Considering my kids always loved my pan cooked grilled cheese, I'd say I could do without this.  But I don't want to.  Because a panini is not a grilled cheese.  Anyone with half a palate knows that.  And it makes a perfect grilled sandwich with perfect grill marks.  And if you have a gadget cabinet, it won't matter that it's taking up room.

ELECTRIC KETTLE

5/5 STARS

Again, one of those gadgets you don't actually NEED.  I don't even drink tea, so why do I have this?  I don't remember why I bought this particular gadget, but I've used it more since moving here than the entire time combined before moving.  It's made hot cocoa for the guy that was freezing his butt off removing snow off the driveway, and has given me perfectly hot water to steep chiles in for a to die for birria ramen dish.  And hey, I've got that gadget cupboard so it's not in the way.

HAND MIXER

5/5 STARS

Finally a gadget that nearly every household has.  But I didn't.  When we were packing to move, my spouse pulled out the old hand mixer that was at least a decade old, and decided we needed a new one so in the trash it went.  So with all my cooking and baking fantasies, I was about to make THE perfect chocolate cake.  BUT the reason it's a perfect chocolate cake has something to do with the mixing.  You see, it's a recipe that actually calls for you to dump all the ingredients in a bowl at once.  No sifting or slowly adding dry ingredients.  BUT YOU MUST MIX IT FOR THREE MINUTES ON HIGH.  No hand mixing, because I actually tried that once, and the cake just wasn't quite as good.  So off to Target I ran, and got an education in hand mixers.  Gone are the days of the cheap $10 mixer.  Hell, I even looked at a $60 hand mixer that didn't look any different than the others sitting on the shelf.  And now they have this thing on the bottom to hold the beaters.  Which, is mildly convenient, but on the other hand, getting the cord back into that holder while the beaters are in it is a bit of a struggle.  But I tend to struggle a wee bit anyway, so at least I amuse myself.  

THE KNIFE


5/5 STARS

And FINALLY, (until I go shopping), the one absolute must have in the kitchen.  A good chef's knife.  Really, don't settle for average.  Get yourself a good one.  This particular style of knife is the only one I will use for the chop chop chop.  It is weighted perfectly and fits my hand like it was made for it.  This is the second one I've owned in 20 years, after the first one finally started loosening at the handle at about the 17 year mark.  Yes, it's that fantastic of a knife.  No respectable cook should be without this kind of knife.  And don't order one online.  Actually take yourself into a nifty kitchen store or gadget aisle, and pick up the knives to see how they feel in your hand.  Not all knives are created equal, and not all hands are the same.  But I can chop chop chop to my hearts content with this sucker.

PHEW...there's the gadget list.  At least up until this particular point, because I'm sure I'm going to spy more that I think I need as I'm out and about perusing kitchen wares.  And now I'm hungry.



No comments:

Post a Comment